X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filters #'s and what they fit

Amsoil EAO (1qt)24,(1/2qt)25- BBC 502/454

Hey Dave that's a great filter . In fact it filters to less than 10 microns. It's so tight it'll filter out any pigment that might be in the oil. I have been a long time of the WIX products. My favorite for big HP applications and volume is the 51060R.:cool:

Comment

I personally swear by them and all Amsoil products. I run the 15w40 in my diesel truck, tractor and boat.

Comment

I need to order oil for my drives and motors from ya Dave....along with a pair of filters. Hit me up and let me know the cost....

Thanks,
        HOSS
        DAVE -N- KELI
        "NAUTI ONE"
        SPRING, TX.

"Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart"...

Comment

Re: Oil Filters #'s and what they fit

Please feel free to add other filters to this thread. It's a helpful reference for the DIY guys.

Comment

K&N HP3002 fits the Merc 496, it's the best filter I've used yet. The worst filter I've had was Fram.
            "Fine Whine"

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyOutlaw View Post
              The worst filter I've had was Fram.
              Here's how I found out, I bought 2 Fram BBC filters, put one on the fresh 406CI big block I just built, and one on the boat. I put the filter on the boat at the beginning of the season and slowly the oil pressure started declining and the harder I ran the boat the worse it would get. It was running around 30 at WOT down from the normal 50psi. It wasn't enough to panic but I started scatching my head wondering why. At the same time, I just built a 406BBC for my Z, brand new forged rotating assembly, oil pump with a hardened shaft, 8Qt. pan with a baffle, the pick up was 3/8ths of and inch off the bottom of the pan, solid lifter Comp. rollers, it was sweet, and oil pressure was good. Until, WOT, and it dropped big time, it would go from 60 to 10psi. I drained the oil, looked in the inside the pan, the pickup was clear of debris, and off of the pan. pulling my hair out, spoke to the machine shop about any oil plugs or blockages there could be trouble with came up with nothing. So I didnt want to do any damage to the motor by more road testing, I said F-it, pulled the motor and tore it down, still not knowing it was the filter. The enigine is from a 66' SS396 Chevelle, the 66' 396's originally had a canister type oil filter and it was the last year of the canister. I had a spin-on oil fliter adapter on the block which didn't have the oil bypass valve that are on BBC's 67' and later. I went over every part of that motor built it again, added new oil, left the same filter on. Went down the block made a right, nailed it and the oil pressure dropped, I was pissed. Just for the hell of it, I ran down to the parts store and asked for the best most expensive filter for a Big chevy, picked up the K&N HP3002 spun it on and it solved it all. I was M F-in that filter. You may not notice real issues with the Fram because of the bypass valves in the engines, when the demand exceeds the flow, the vavle opens and bypasses the filter, but take that valve away and those filters are garbage.

Then its been K&N's on everything since

Here's when it was done the 1st time.

This is round 2 the following weekend, I had just got it out in this pic, which is no easy task. The big block and the trans was a T56 6 speed would not come out as one. Check out the Fram on the engine. I had just pulled the pan before taredown.
              Last edited by JerseyOutlaw; 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM.
              "Fine Whine"

Comment

I had the same issue with Fram on my 408 in my Mustang. Oil pressure would drop after running it hard. I too pulled the motor after a test and tune night at Atlanta Dragway. I was spraying Nitrous that night and thought I spun a bearing. Back at the house that night about midnight, just got the motor on the stand pulled the pan and pulled the main caps and friend of mine saw the lights on stopped in and said, "I bet it's that $h!tty Fram filter". Sure enough it was. Last time I ever used one of them on anything I own.
                Jeff & Beth
                Just 4 Fun II

Comment

Wow! same f-in thing. cool man, last time for me as well, everything I own gets that filter now.

from time to time looking online at boats for sale, I'll come across some with Fram filters and I cringe
                  "Fine Whine"

Comment

Wow! same f-in thing. cool man, last time for me as well, everything I own gets that filter now.

from time to time looking online at boats for sale, I'll come across some with Fram filters and I cringe
                    Yep, I was pi$$ed! Went through all that and it was just a filter. I have a friend here that owns a Radiator repair shop and he has an employee that owns a Harley. I stopped in one day and saw one on his bike, told him my story and he changed out the filter before I left within the hour. LOL!
                    Jeff & Beth
                    Just 4 Fun II

Comment

K&N HP3002 fits the Merc 496, it's the best filter I've used yet. The worst filter I've had was Fram.

I read on a thread that I can't find where someone was recommending K&N filters #3002 fit 496 and you could buy a #6002 for extra capacity I think it's a 2 qt filter I sure they are available for 502 I was looking at them on ebay but cannot figure which one is for a 502 any info. on this would be appreciated .

Comment

Originally posted by cruisin-charlie View Post
                        I read on a thread that I can't find where someone was recommending K&N filters #3002 fit 496 and you could buy a #6002 for extra capacity I think it's a 2 qt filter I sure they are available for 502 I was looking at them on ebay but cannot figure which one is for a 502 any info. on this would be appreciated .
                        http://bajaboatowners.com/threads/4466-Oil-pressure
                        Last post on page 1, either one will work
                        "Fine Whine"

Comment

HP-3002 1qt K&N filter for BBC
                          HP-6002 2qt K&N filter for BBC

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/maro...id=851685&rw=2

Comment

8.1L 496 BBCi Amsoil EAO59

Comment

Just ran across the threads about fram filters. I don't usually run one, but I just happen to put one on the boat this year. Now things make sense why my oil pressure doesn't go much above 40 psi. It did run higher when the engine was in the other boat. I just thought it was the gauge.

Comment

Working...
                              X