Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trip To Bimini Bahamas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

    Wow, I never heard of that. So how'd they contact Tow Boat US? I assume they broke/called while on the island and had them come? Half way across how would you call Tow Boat US?

    The CG won't usually tow. I'm sure they would/do in circumstances.

    I also never heard of a 25-30 MPH tow, I'd like to see that. So they drag the wounded boat on plane then what, they run across the ocean with the tow line attached? Does the wounded boat require the line taut to stay on plane?
    ...ridin dirty aboard...
    CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

      Originally posted by Hookem View Post
      Wow, I never heard of that. So how'd they contact Tow Boat US? I assume they broke/called while on the island and had them come? Half way across how would you call Tow Boat US?

      The CG won't usually tow. I'm sure they would/do in circumstances.

      I also never heard of a 25-30 MPH tow, I'd like to see that. So they drag the wounded boat on plane then what, they run across the ocean with the tow line attached? Does the wounded boat require the line taut to stay on plane?

      They towed him from Freeport. Believe it or not I think the tow was cheaper than the parts and hotel while waiting.

      You call them on the phone. Its not a third world country, it the Bahamas.... LOL I think it was like $4800 - that was 5 years ago. I remember he told me the Towboat guy said it was not allowed. After about a half mile the tow guy told him how to do it. He just buried it on one engine and the towboat just goes full throttle too. I still remember he specifically said with a 30 foot line once the bow rolled over and got on plane it was almost normal. Yes, the towboat keeps pulling. He was surprised how easy it was. The tow boat US boats around here are pretty stout - usually have twin 275's on a 25 foot RIB boat.
      Last edited by Keith342; 09-30-2015, 03:12 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

        This trip was done by 4 or 5 Bajas years ago back in the days of the TBM forum. Smallest was a 30 OL and also included a 35 and 38 and maybe 1 or 2 others. They had a blast. The 35 made the trip alone a few years later and I remember him posting about it and it was the trip from hell. They had also visited Freeport or Nassau also. I've seen smaller single center consoles make the trip over to Freeport and even to The Abacos. I've been over in friends Hatteras 3 times with 2 of them to The Abacos. So much better there. I've seen the crossing smooth as glass and have also seen 8-10 footers but that was coming out of the Lucayan Waterway on the Grand Bahamas and can you say "hello reef"!! Wasn't pretty and thank god the Hatteras has a thick bottom.

        Also, I had a 91 260 for 14 years. Loved the boat but it didn't like the rough water.
        Last edited by Firehill; 09-30-2015, 06:47 AM.
        Keith
        Lake Conroe, Tx

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

          I understand they called from the island. My point/question was, how are you gonna call Tow Boat US when you break half way across? Marine radio won't reach and there is no cell service in the Gulf Stream. They're lucky they broke on the island. For $4800 I'd have tried to repair it on the island. It might take a month but by then you should have a day or two a mechanic would actually show up.

          I guess if you're lucky enough to catch a flat day I could see running the open ocean with a taut bow line attached. But dayum, talk about dangerous and nerve racking....30 foot tow line, running 30 MPH 30 feet off the tow boat stern? Not to mention you'd think they rip the bow eye off the boat.
          ...ridin dirty aboard...
          CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

            I tried to plane my boat with 1 motor when I had a bad impeller, the prop blows out pretty quickly. Didn't think about having someone pull me to get on plane. That would have to be a stout boat and tow rig. Imagine someone trying that off a ski eye!!!!!

            But 1 motor about 12mph seems slow, but I got back home on my own power, although I was only 10 miles up the lake and it isn't nearly as rough as the ocean or bay.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

              I would look into some chat room or local forum in the West Palm Beach to Miami area and see whats up. When I lived down in Florida I met several guys that went across in a single OB on a 25-26' center consol. Said they were surrounded by boats. Remember if you break down your going home at 2-5 mph on a leash. I was living in Florida when I bought my 33 and was going to make that trip but I wanted twins so if something happened I could still move under my own power. I applaud the desire to go and would do that trip in a heartbeat if I had time to prepare. I would make sure that I had redundant navigation systems and that they agreed with one another before I left on the trip. One degree off over 48 miles is a long way. I would also Pack. Just hide it when you enter and declare that you are firearm free. keep it hidden so the Brits don't sent you to the hole, but I damn sure would carry a gun. with the look at the weather I wouldn't go this weekend.
              Because without beer things just dont seem to go as well

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                I hope you're getting the idea. Your boat should be more loaded than you've ever imagined with spare everything including belts, fusible link, hoses and anything else "breakable" under the hatch as well as tools. A life raft with provisions, sat phone SSB radio, marine radio on and on. Your 26 foot boat is going to be PACKED to the gills plus full of fuel (sluggish) and navigating water that's potentially HOSTILE, with a newbie Captn and one 20 year old power plant. The 260 isn't a 24* dead rise boat either. It doesn't handle "rough water" as well as the 24* boats and most Baja owners have never seen water get as nasty as it can where you're going.

                It's REALLY a BAD IDEA for you to take your family on a solo crossing in that boat for your "first time out".

                I can't remember off hand but should be easy to Google...There's at least one resort that sends a "tour guide" boat over, meets with that weeks group, and leads you across as a group as well as leads the way back to Florida. Might be worth looking into.
                ...ridin dirty aboard...
                CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                  Originally posted by Hookem View Post
                  I hope you're getting the idea. Your boat should be more loaded than you've ever imagined with spare everything including belts, fusible link, hoses and anything else "breakable" under the hatch as well as tools. A life raft with provisions, sat phone SSB radio, marine radio on and on. Your 26 foot boat is going to be PACKED to the gills plus full of fuel (sluggish) and navigating water that's potentially HOSTILE, with a newbie Captn and one 20 year old power plant. The 260 isn't a 24* dead rise boat either. It doesn't handle "rough water" as well as the 24* boats and most Baja owners have never seen water get as nasty as it can where you're going.

                  It's REALLY a BAD IDEA for you to take your family on a solo crossing in that boat for your "first time out".

                  I can't remember off hand but should be easy to Google...There's at least one resort that sends a "tour guide" boat over, meets with that weeks group, and leads you across as a group as well as leads the way back to Florida. Might be worth looking into.
                  That tour guide idea sounds quite enticing

                  Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                    Originally posted by shenanigans View Post
                    That tour guide idea sounds quite enticing

                    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
                    Especially if she's cute

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                      I'm pretty sure "she's" a tall lanky black man with an accent. Yah Mon.
                      ...ridin dirty aboard...
                      CAN YA HEAR ME NOW

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                        It's a long shot, but I can always hope

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                          Why does everybody have to be so adventurous? LOL

                          Bring your boat to Florida and cruise down the south Florida coast and go in every inlet to eat, drink, and explore.

                          If you feel adventerous, fly out the inlet due east wide open till you get tired, turn around, come back and get drunk....


                          No stress. So much easier.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Trip To Bimini Bahamas

                            I did the Bahamas trip last year in MAY. Nobody to go with so, My wife and I with two friends ran from Palm Beach to Grand Bahamas in 3 to 4 footers. I have a 94 OS320 I just set her in with the bow high and took 6 hours to see water tower at Old Bahama Bay. It was windy out of the north the whole time. But, one day it cleared. Then we run on smooth water out to Walker Cay. Took less than 2 hours. We stayed at Rosie's one night snorkeled on the reef next day then ran back to Old Bahama Bay stayed on the hook that night. Next day was super 1 to 2 footers all the way back to Florida. We musta pass 35 boats going out to the Bahamas for the holiday weekend. Never felt like we were alone. We saw boaters ever where we went.

                            My Wife and I are going to do it again may 14th through the 30th 2016

                            Plan well, Live well...
                            Last edited by Dakota881; 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM.

                            Comment

                            About the Author

                            Collapse

                            MissBehavin Find out more about MissBehavin
                            Working...
                            X