Just bought 1990 235 dvx???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought 1990 235 dvx???

Just bought a 90 dvx with 454 and bravo 1. There isn't a lot of info on these boats. Is there any thing I should be looking at for preventive maintenance with this boat or common issues with this model. Any help or info would be great. My first boat was a 1986 four winns horizon 190 with a 350 that was a nightmare from day one I don't want to end up with another headache.

Re: Just bought 1990 235 dvx???

Common issues with all older boats made of wood is rot. If you had it checked for that then I'd change oil and gear lube in drive check for wear in gimble assembly otherwise it's just normal wear and tear.

Comment

Irish pretty well nailed it.

Any of these older boats is susceptible to rot, it is pretty common to have to replace seats, sunpads, etc. Some softness can be expected in the floor, depending on how much/how often it got wet or how it was stored. What you DON'T want is major structural rot...like in the transom or the main stringers.

The stock 454 w/Bravo One is pretty stout and usually fairly bullet-proof, with many people getting over 600 hours without issues.

Post up some pictures when you get a chance. We love seeing these boats!
      Table Rock Lake is my home away from home, and big block power rules.

Comment

Rot was the issue I had with the four winns I looked over this one very well for rot. The motor just got rebuilt and is out right now so I was able to inspect transom and stringers good. I learned my lesson the hard way with the four winns, but learned a lot in the process.

Comment

Cool! You've got a neat boat there, one you definitely won't see many of anymore.

Comment

Congratulations on your purchase.I just picked up a 1990 240 Sport,and like you,not sure yet how solid it really is.Get some pics posted,would love to see it.Its always cool to compare the differences in the older models.I recently completed replacing stringers,floor,bulkheads in a 1984 Baja Sunsport 196,transom was solid.It really made a difference in the way the boat handles,it was completely waterlogged under the floor and stringers pretty much gone.I have pics of the whole project I need to download sometime!Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Millen06 View Post
              Just bought a 90 dvx with 454 and bravo 1. There isn't a lot of info on these boats. Is there any thing I should be looking at for preventive maintenance with this boat or common issues with this model. Any help or info would be great. My first boat was a 1986 four winns horizon 190 with a 350 that was a nightmare from day one I don't want to end up with another headache.

I'm on my 3rd 235. I had a 1989 235 Force, a 1991 235 DVX, and my current 1990 235 DVX. I really like the boat. Has a ton of cockpit space for a boat that size. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

Comment

Spazz do u have trim tabs on any of your boats? This one does not have them would it be worth while to put them on while the motor is out? I've been told these boats kinda plow through the water and trim tabs would help.

Comment

I have trim tabs on my current 90 and on the 91. I didn't have them on the 89, so I have driven with and without. I WOULD install them, makes the boat handle WAY better. In my opinion I think pretty much all boats should have them.

Comment

Nice boat. I Bought last year a 1988 235 Force.

I suggest you to check accurately the fuel tank and fuel line (I had some problem of water inside the tank las summer). Th 454 with bravo is faery good, but inspect the transom plate.

My boat after 27 years of service has no problem with stringers or transom.

Have a nice summer on your boat!

Comment

Finally got the motor installed and boat running! I have a few little things to finish up on the interior. The sun deck is at the upholstery shop and hoping to get it back this week. The motor ran great after buying it with the motor on a pallet and not hearing it run I was relieved it ran so good. The install was a breeze with the hatch removed and a swing crane setup in my buddies shop. FYI the 454 weighed in at 986lbs with manifolds and accessories. Hope to be on the wolf river near Fremont Wi memorial weekend if all goes well. Happy boating to everyone!!

Comment

That is cool, man. And it is little info like you posted about the weight of the engine that is especially neat on this forum...thanks for that. I've always 'heard' or read that a big block is in the 1000 pound range, neat to see it confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                        X